From One Medical Student to Another
WEB RESOURCES ON CATARACTS
- To watch cataract procedure videos or chat about cataracts please become a fan of our Cataract Surgery page on Facebook.
- The creation and the creator of cataract phacoemulsification are both interesting stories as chronicled by a PBS documentary: "Through my eyes: The Charlie Kelman Story".
- To get a more detailed description of phacoemulsification and other cataract surgeries, read Cataract Surgery for Greenhorns online or check out the author's blog.
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Fact Sheet—Cataract Surgery & Prostate Drug Complications. Fairfax: American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, 2006. Available at http://www.ascrs.org/press_releases/upload/Patient-Information-Sheet-on-Prostate-Drugs-and-Cataract-Surgery.pdf (requires login, summary at: http://goo.gl/2vabp0).
- American Academy of Ophthalmology. Cataract in the Adult Eye, Preferred Practice Pattern. San Francisco: American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2006. Available at: http://www.aao.org/ppp.
- Trobe, Jonathan. "Cataract," The Physician's Guide to Eyecare 3rd edition. San Francisco: American Academy of Ophthalmology; 2006; Chapter 6, p 98-100.
- Congdo NG, Friedman DS, Lietman T. Important causes of visual impairment in the world today. JAMA 2003;290(15):2057-2060.
- Forrester J, Dick A, McMenamin P, Lee W. The Eye: Basic Sciences in Practice. London: W.B. Saunders Company Ltd; 1996; p 28.
- Ford, Jerry. The Human Lens. Cataract Surgery and Intraocular lenses: A 21st Century perspective 2nd edition. San Francisco: American Academy of Ophthalmology; 2001; Chapter 1, p 2-7.
- Bradford, Cynthia. "Cataract," Basic Ophthalmology 8th edition. San Francisco: American Academy of Ophthalmology; 2004; Chapter 3, p 57-63
- Solomon R, Donnenfeld ED. Recent advances and future frontiers in treating age related cataracts. JAMA 2003;290(2):248-251.
- Hodge W, et al. The consequences of waiting for cataract surgery: a systematic review. CMAJ 2007; 176(9):1285.
- Keay L, Lindsley K, Tielsch J, Katz J, Schein O. Routine preoperative medical testing for cataract surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;(2):CD007293.
- Oetting, Thomas. "Phacoemulsification – Step by Step," Cataract Surgery for Greenhorns. Medrounds Publications, 2005. Available at http://www.medrounds.org/cataract-surgery-greenhorns/2005/10/chapter-3-phacoemulsification-step-by.html
- Feudner EM, Engel C, Neuhann IM, Petermeier K, Bartz-Schmidt KU, Szurman P. Virtual reality training improves wet-lab performance of capsulorhexis: results of a randomized, controlled study. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2009;247(7):955-63.
- Ruit S, et al. A Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial of Phacoemulsification vs Manual Sutureless Small-Incision Extracapsular Cataract Surgery in Nepal. Am. J. Ophth. 2007;143(1):143-144.
Suggested citation format: Boeke P, Oetting T. Cataracts: from one medical student to another. EyeRounds.org. July 5, 2010; Available from: http://www.EyeRounds.org/ tutorials/cataract-for-medical-students/